Friday, November 20, 2009

A Moderator's Joy

Nothing has been more rewarding for me recently than helping to save the LegendFire Writing Community from extinction. I just have to gush about it. I spent so many years accumulating information about writing, the writing industry, the personal side of the writing life, and now I finally get to give back. The best rewards come from giving. This is my proof.

If I neglect my own writing on any particular day, chances are I am spending too much time cruising the community's site, making sure everything is in order, whacking spammers with my Anti-Spammer Sword of Doom, and tucking in the kiddies for the night. I didn't know how I would handle the responsibility, but I've loved the process of becoming a mother hen. The first few days were rough, getting familiar with the way the site worked, how to balance that Sword of Doom in my inexperienced fists, refereeing some destructive, angry-at-life members who used words like steel knuckles, but today, all is quiet on the western front. Quiet, productive, growing. I thought we needed continual contests to keep everyone's interest involved, but in the last few weeks, that hasn't been the case. Activity has held its own, new members pour in one or two a day. Enthusiasm for learning and improving keeps the atmosphere positive. All is as it should be.

But that novel is waiting. I have to get to it sometime today.

2 comments:

Stephanie Thornton said...

Sounds like a great site! I'll have to check it out when I have a spare minute. I'm hoping that's next week- isn't that what holiday weekends are for? *crosses finger*

Court Ellyn said...

I hope you get the chance. Though I do believe holiday weekends are the busiest of all. And vacations are anything but relaxing. Regardless, I hope you have a minute to stop by. LF is my home away from home. You'll find me under the username "Raveneye"